TIRELESS – RELENTLESS – DEDICATED – CREATIVE – PASSIONATE
Practicing these principles, Michael F. Kelly has established himself as the go-to attorney for serious personal injury; criminal defense, with special emphasis on drunk driving; operating while intoxicated (OWI) charges; driver’s license restoration; wills; estate planning; estate administration; and business organizations. Michael F. Kelly has earned the respect of his adversaries and the trust of his clients. His mission is to treat every client as unique. He approaches each matter by gaining a complete and thorough appreciation of the circumstances in which the client’s needs arise. He calls upon over 40 years of legal experience and, through creativity, sound legal reasoning, technical proficiency and old fashioned hard work, strives to achieve the results needed by the client. He is careful never to lose sight of how this specific dispute and its resolution will impact the client in the short and long term.
Membership and Associations
Michael F. Kelly is a member of the American Bar Association, Michigan Bar Association, Grand Rapids Bar Association – Litigation Section, Kent County Criminal Defense Bar, Crime Lawyers (www.crimelawyers.org), Michigan Association for Justice (formerly Michigan Trial Lawyers Association), and American Association for Justice (formerly Association of Trial Lawyers of America) – Traumatic Brain Injury Section. He has been accepted as an Advocate of the National College of Advocacy. He is listed in Martindale-Hubbell with an “AV” rating and is a member of the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers. The Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register is limited to only the most distinguished lawyers who have achieved the “AV” rating in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory. The “A” signifies the highest level of legal ability, while the “V” denotes “very high” adherence to the professional standards of conduct, ethics, reliability and diligence.
Awarded as a Top 100 Litigation Lawyer in Michigan
Michael F. Kelly was awarded as a Top 100 Litigation Lawyer in the State of Michigan for 2013 by the American Society of Legal Advocates.
Not Just an Attorney
In addition to managing a busy docket and administering a thriving firm, Michael F. Kelly is a member of the faculty of the Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE). He has also lectured and written on the Michigan Drunk Driving Law and the Michigan No Fault Law, and the use of video applications and trial practice techniques in the criminal and personal injury practice. He is the former president of the American Inns of Court – Gerald R. Ford Chapter, and former member of the Michigan State Bar Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee and the Grand Rapids Bar Lawyer Referral Committee.
- 1939, Detroit, Michigan, United States of America
- University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, Detroit, Michigan, 1965 J.D.
- Aquinas College, 1962 B.S.B.A.
- All Michigan Courts, 1966
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of Michigan, 1966
- U.S. District Court – Western District of Michigan, 1966
- “How to Protect Your Rights Under the New Michigan Drunk Driving Laws”
- “How to Protect Your Rights Under the Michigan No Fault Laws”
- Lecturer, Michigan Trial Lawyers Association Seminar
- Lecturer, Grand Rapids Bar Association
- Lecturer, Business Law, Davenport College
- Drunk Driving Defense Law Update: Even More Changes, ICLE, 1995
- Michigan Drunk Driving Defense Update, ICLE, 1996
- Fundamentals of Drunk Driving Cases, ICLE, 2003
- Moderator & Lecturer, Drunk Driving Update, ICLE, 2008
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Grand Rapids Bar Association, Former Member, Lawyer Referral Committee
- State Bar of Michigan, Negligence Section, Member
- State Bar of Michigan, Former Member, Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee
- American Bar Association, Member
- Kent County Criminal Defense Bar Association, Member
- The American Association for Justice (formerly The Association of Trial Lawyers of America), Member
- Traumatic Brain Injury Section, Member
- Advocate of the National College of Advocacy
- Michigan Association for Justice (formerly Michigan Trial Lawyers Association), Member
- Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians Tribal Court, Member since 2011
- Former President, American Inns of Court – Gerald R. Ford Chapter
Past Employment Positions
- City of Grand Rapids, Ordinance Enforcement Division, Assistant City Attorney