In an effort to promote greater traffic safety, Michigan has developed a Driver Responsibility Program to deter potentially dangerous driving behavior. The program calls for a monetary fee for drivers who:
- Are convicted of specific qualifying offenses such as:
- Operating While Intoxicated (OWI)
- Operating While Visibly Impaired (OWVI)
- Driving While License Suspended (DWLS)
- No Proof of Insurance
- Drove with Expired Driver’s License
- Drove with Improper License; or
- Accumulate seven (7) or more qualifying points on their driving records.
The fee is in addition to any other fines or penalties imposed by the court and are paid to the Michigan Department of Treasury.
If you have been cited with a violation that includes a driver responsibility fee or have questions about a case, please contact Kelly Law Offices, P.C. for a free consultation.
For more information about Michigan’s Driver Responsibility Law, click here.